Know about the Benefits of Having a Preconception Visit
Here are some of the benefits of having a preconception checkup or visit:
- Improves your chances of getting pregnant.
- Helps you have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby.
- Will guide you when to stop using birth control measures if you are taking any.
- Certain lifestyle choices such as drinking or smoking or medical conditions can reduce your chances of getting pregnant. A preconception visit will help
you to keep such conditions under control to prevent health problems in you and your baby.
Things to Ask a Doctor during a Preconception Visit
Although your doctor will mention all the things you need to do before getting pregnant. The list below will help you to avoid any miss out.
During a preconception
visit, discuss with your doctor about the following things:
- Health problems that run in your or your partner’s family
- When can you start taking folic acid
- Any vaccines that you may need to take prior to pregnancy
- Screening tests, such as a Pap test, that you may need to take
- Managing health problems, such as diabetes, thyroid disease, high blood pressure, obesity, etc.
- Medicines you are using, including over-the-counter and prescription medicines and supplements
- Ways to reach a healthy weight
- Ways to make healthy food choices and being physically active
- Ways to care for your teeth and gums
- Ways to reduce stress, quit smoking, and avoid alcohol and other illnesses
- Earlier pregnancy problem including preterm birth1
- Screenings for sexually transmitted infections including HIV
Making a note of these things will help you discuss with your doctor, and this way you will not miss out any.