How does pregnancy test work?
As soon as a fertilized egg attaches to the wall of uterus, body secretes human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG) hormone. This hCG can be detected in blood and urine of a pregnant woman just 10 days after conception. Pregnancy test detects the presence of HCG either in blood or urine.
Pregnancy Blood Test
This is often performed by the doctor to confirm pregnancy. It takes few hours to a day to get the results. Blood samples are drawn to perform the test and can easily detect the small amount of hCG present in the blood.
Pregnancy Urine Test
This is an easy home pregnancy test of spotting hCG which gives result in 1 or 2 minutes. Methods used for urine test are almost similar and depends on the
test kit you are using. Different methods which can be used are:
- Holding a test stick in the urine stream or
- Collecting urine in a special cup and followed by dipping the stick or
- Collecting urine in a cup and then putting a drop of urine on the chemical strip with a dropper
After this step, wait for few minutes as per the instructions and then check the result window. Appearance of a line or plus symbol indicates the positive test result denoting you are pregnant.
You can carry out the home pregnancy test on the first day of your missed period.
- However, urine pregnancy test turns positive when there is an increased level of hCG present in blood. The test might show a negative result in early pregnancy when hCG level is low.
- Sometimes the test might turn positive if a woman had a miscarriage, abortion or ectopic pregnancy.