Your doctor might suggest inducing labor if:
- Your water has broken, but there are no contractions
- There is an infection in the uterus
- The baby has stopped growing at the expected rate
- There is not enough amniotic fluid surrounding your baby
- The placenta peels away from the inner wall of the uterus before delivery which is also known as placental abruption.
- You have a medical condition, such as high blood pressure or diabetes
- You are more than 2 weeks past your due date, and your labour has not started naturally
You have a history of rapid deliveries or you live far from the hospital so that a planned induction might help you to avoid an unattended delivery.