Don’t restrict going out because you are nervous or shy about breastfeeding your baby outside the house. Follow these tips to feel comfortable:
- When going out, choose a place that is likely to have cosy, hidden seating areas such as a quiet restaurant or café.
- Wear clothes specially designed for breastfeeding with clever openings.
- Always carry a shawl when you go out. You can place it over your shoulder and the baby can feed underneath, away from the public eye. It can also serve as a
blanket when the baby is asleep.
- A sling or baby carrier works as a convenient breastfeeding camouflage.
- Public places like airports, hospitals and some malls have private feeding rooms
that you can use.
Nursing in public may seem intimidating or embarrassing at first. But with time, you will gain confidence and know exactly where to go, what to wear and what
accessories to carry.